Tuesday 18 December 2012

Composition: Initial Tarsands Model

I worked on composing the various systems I have developed so far to create a virtual working model of a basic Tarsands Mining Operation.  This video explores this environment and was captured while using the organic motion camera.



This scene was created mainly for purposes of user evaluation, to test the integration of these various systems, as well as the limits of complicated composition.  This is an initial implementation that is still in complete and quite rough-  I will work on smoothing out machine animation as routing additional dump trucks and excavators with more dynamic implementation.  There are also still some problems with the track systems, as well as some issues with intersecting steam systems.  I feel that the dust, dirt and container systems could also be worked on, smoothing the transitions between systems as well as general complexity.

Creating such a model was challenging, but as I continue to adapt my land map editor as well as these systems such a task will become increasingly more manageable.  Though I feel this project is successful in displaying these systems as well as creating an engaging environment, it is somewhat limited by the detail of my 3D models. 

Obviously I can not hope to create a technically perfect model of the tarsands, nor would I wish to attempt such a task  (There is no way one could possible represent the scale of the Alberta Tarsands)  Such a model is intended for more conceptual representation.  I plan to first use this or a similar model for animation projects on tar sands and pipeline expansion...

Creation of this model marks the end of this development cycle.  I feel satisfied with these results, and I would be content to end this project at this benchmark.  Though so far by evaluating this process, as well as realizing levels of public awareness with industrial development, I still feel very motivated to continue development on this project.  As I feel I am nearing my limits of technical representation, and in the coming moths I will largely focus on more artistic development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment